Last week I decided that I wanted (ok needed) to clean up my diet. My mission, 5 days vegan. If you have been following my blog for a while you know that I’m not totally vegan but I strive to eat vegan as much as possible. Some weeks I’m more conscious than others and plan ahead, other weeks I’m just so short on time I have to go with whats healthy and easy.
Lately I’ve been eating way to many eggs and yogurt. Seriously I can easily get addicted to eggs, I had to break the cycle. Last week took some extra planning ahead but really it wasn’t that hard to do. Along the way I even discovered that I love So Delicious coconut milk. Have you ever tried it? I usually am not a coconut fan but it beats the heck out of almond milk in my book!
Anyways back to the reason I’m writing this post, Buffalo Tempeh Fingers. I had been wanting to try these out for a while because I had seen many variations of them around but never actually took the time to try it out. The good news is that I had all the ingredients handy and dinner was ready in no time.
When I was a kid I hated spicy thing. Now days I love hot spices…funny how age effects your taste buds. You will love this recipe because the chewy and filling texture of tempeh come together perfectly with the baked flour and seasonings to create one heck of a dish. All preservative free and much better than any store bought vegan buffalo “chicken” I’ve ever had.
Tempeh= 20g Protien, 11g Fiber, 9g Fat per 220 calories serving
If you’re not into spicy you could use just about any coating you’d like with the below flour and baking part of the recipe. My mind is already spinning about a few other possible dishes!
Seriously this is good tasting, good for you and easy to make.
Buffalo Tempeh Fingers- Vegan
1 Package Tempeh (I prefer multigrain) Sliced into 8 pieces
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/3 Cup Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/3 Cup Franks Buffalo Sauce
1 Tablespoon Vegan Butter
About 1/3 Cup Bread Crumbs
1) Boil 4 cups of water in a small pot. Place sliced tempeh into boiling water and let boil for 10 minutes.
2) Using two small bowls place the almond milk in one and all the dry ingredients except the bread crumbs into the other. Prepare a pan by lining it with aluminum foil and turn oven to 300 degrees.
3) Take the tempeh out of the boiling water. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
4) Dip each tempeh strip one by one into the almond milk and then into the flour mixture coating well, then back into the almond milk. It can get quite sticky. Place the coated tempeh onto the lined pan. When all pieces are coated with almond milk and flour, sprinkle on the bread crumbs trying to coat as evenly as possible.
5) Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping them half way through.
6) In a bowl combine buffalo sauce and vegan butter. Microwave until butter is melted and mix.
7) When the Tempeh is done baking dip the fingers each into the buffalo sauce and serve.
You can either dip while you eat or coat the tempeh fingers right before serving. Whatever you do don’t coat the fingers if you’re not eating it right away. Store uncoated and dip when your ready to eat it if you are saving leftovers.
This is my new favorite easy dinner. Steam some veggies or add a salad and hello dinner! It felt really good to go all week eating good. Sometimes you just need a fresh start to get your habits back on track.
What do you do when you need a fresh start for your diet?