It sounds funny when I say to people that last year P got me a Vitamix and the year before that he got me a Triathlon watch. They look at me like… “Is he trying to tell me something?” I just laugh it off because he knows the true way to my heart!
For those of you with significant others who need a few hints on what to give you. Here are a few ideas for the kitchen lover in your family. Feel free to show them this list
1) Vitamix- My favorite tool in my kitchen. Handy in so many recipes. Yes its expensive, but think about it one gift and your done! Plus there are several different entry levels, all are amazing.
2) Cast Iron Skillet- I have a Lodge cast iron skillet and it is fantastic. It cooks things so quick and the taste is wonderful. Who couldn’t love a dish that needs to not be washed every time you use it! Price wise Lodge pots are pretty reasonable.
3) Wüsthof Knive Set- Right now William Sonoma has up to 55% off all Wüsthof Knives. Chopping vegetables and just about anything is so easy. Once you have a good knife set you will never be able to go back to your old dull cheep knives.
4) Fun Spatulas- A cute easy way to add color to your kitchen. Any option from Mod Cloth will make your cook happy.
5) Garlic Slicer and Mincer- a quick and easy way to have perfectly sliced garlic or minced garlic so you’re not biting into big garlic chunks!
These are just a few ideas. When all else fails buy a gift card to William Sonoma, your kitchen lovers heaven!
If you want an easy, fast and tasty homemade appetizer then spiced and roasted nuts are a great solution. Roasted nuts hold a dear place in my heart. Every time we went to Disney World (which was quite often) my mom and I would scout out the candied pecan cart and wait for when they came hot out of the oven. Believe it or not but we had to stalk the carts to get them. Candied nuts are that good.
I had to do quite a bit of research on vegan candied nut recipes. I had no idea that most candied nuts have eggs in them. I mean seriously, why?
A little research yielded two different ways to make candied nuts. 1) Roasting in the oven. 2) Boiling until the sugar seizes. Both recipes are quick and easy.
I can’t lay claim to either recipe so here are the link to the recipes.
Stove Top Vegan Candied Cashews by Oh She Glows- The recipe calls for almonds but it worked to perfectly with cashews. I also added 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice to make them pumpkin flavored… HEAVEN!
Vegan Candied Almonds by Mess’n Kitch’n- The recipe calls for walnuts but I used almonds. I loved that they were not loaded with sugar but still tasted great.
I highly recommend only making these when you have somewhere to take them. Or else you will end up snacking on them all day long!
Last week I took a couple days off of work for Thanksgiving. They were my first days off since I started the new job. During those few days off I was so busy. Cooking, holiday shopping, cleaning, working out and overall just enjoying my time in the city. Getting back in a routine has been really exhausting.
Like really exhausting.
I am sorry for the blog neglecting.
Even though I was really tired the last couple of nights I got in a good 5 mile run and a great cardio kickboxing class with my BF. The workouts gave me much needed energy but I ended up having a hard time getting to sleep. I hate it when that happens. Isn’t it supposed to be more stressful when I’m traveling? I figured working from the local office would be better, it wasn’t.
Getting good sleep this week has been extremely difficult.
What do you do when you can’t sleep? My doctor recommended before bed reading and doing my workouts early in the morning.
On a more positive note here are a few more pictures from my Thanksgiving!