8 Week Advanced Half Marathon Training

I  know I said I wanted to go the whole year without training for a race or event, but I lied. I really really missed training for a race. I found myself not motived to get to the gym as often as I should or I took it easy when I should have been pushing myself. While I did enjoy my Zumba classes its time to get back to what I really love.

www.notsoperfectlife.com

RUNNING!

My next big race is the Madison Mini half marathon in Madison Wisconsin on August 17th. Since the race is in August and supposedly really hilly I’m not sure exactly what type of goal I’m shooting for. I’ll have to fill you in on that later. Until then here is my advanced half marathon trainingg game plan:

Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

June 24-30 Zumba or CT 6 x hill 3 m run + strength 45 min tempo Rest 90 min run CT
July 1-7 Zumba or CT 8 x 400 5-K pace 3 m run + strength 30 min tempo CT 1:45 Run (3/1) rest
July 8-14 3 m run + strength 7 x hill 3 m run + strength 45 min tempo Rest CT 10-K Race
July 15-21 Zumba or CT 3 x 1600 race pace 3 m run + strength 50 min tempo Rest CT 1:45 run
July 22-28 Zumba or CT 5 x 800 10-K pace 3 m run + strength 30 min tempo Rest or easy run Rest 15-K Race
July 29-4 Zumba or CT 4 x 1600 race pace 3 m run + strength 55 min tempo Rest CT 2:00 run (3/1)
Aug 5-11 Zumba or CT 6 x 800 10-K pace 3 m run + strength 60 min tempo Rest CT 2:00 run
Aug 12-18 Zumba or CT 6 x 400 5-K pace 2 m run + strength 30 min tempo Rest Rest Half Marathon

I adapted a version of Hal Higdon’s advanced program to fit my schedule better. Also I find running more than 3-4 days a week really bad for my legs. This is an advanced program and its pretty short since I have limited time. If your just getting into running follow Hal Higdon’s beginners plan.

CT= Cross Train. Most CT days I’ll probably be doing yoga. I can’t believe I actually like yoga now. I’ve been really enjoying hot Moksha yoga, there are not many studios that offer it around but if you are lucky enough to have one go check it out!

I’m looking forward to letting you guys know how everything goes with my training. I’m so excited to be back running. It’s not hard for me to believe that it only took about 4 months to get back on the running train again.

Tonight I’m doing hill repeats on the Brooklyn Bridge. Move out of my way tourist!

How many days do you run when you are training for a half marathon? Do you have any late summer/fall races on the calendar?

Download PDF

About rebacox

Pseudo athlete and vegan, learning to love all the imperfections in life. Follow me in my journey, training for races (a half marathon in all 50 states to be exact) and my adventures in the kitchen!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to 8 Week Advanced Half Marathon Training

1. well you are more on the ball of training then I…I usually do Hal’s training guide too but totally slack during the week maybe getting 2 runs in then my long run on the weekend. madison is hilly but i’ve heard this course is better then the Madison Half over Memorial Day weekend. I enjoy running too much to totally give it up…saying that it sounds like I should be running more but with my work schedule and kiddos this is just my reality now. Let me know when you are coming and leaving town so we can get together :-)
    Angela @ another bite please recently posted…asparagus and gruyere cheese pizzaMy Profile

• rebacox says:

3 runs a week is pretty good. I can’t imagine fitting everything into my schedule and being a mom. I haven’t booked my flight yet but I’ll let you know perhaps we can meet up after the run.

2. THAT’S AN AWESOME TRAINING PLAN!!! I only run 3 days/week in my training too because I find rest days to be really important and I actually get better from running less. That’s so cool that you are traveling to Madison for the race!!! My marathon that I’m training for is September 22nd, but I’m doing a 10 mile race by me on July 4th. I’d be open to doing another half before the marathon too. I took a break from race training for like all of 2012 and I wasn’t as motivated to workout. I love having a race to get me going! I can’t wait to hear about all your training – it keeps me motivated knowing someone else is working hard out there too! :)
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Sweaty Run, Tea, and the PupsMy Profile

3. that’s definitely an ADVANCED training plan! You’re going to rock this half marathon

4. Wow that training plan is hardcore! looks awesome!! you’re going to do great in this half marathon! and i really like your plan for hot yoga. i love hot yoga, i need to get back into it. i havent done it since last year when i moved across town from my favorite hot yoga place. (excuses excuses, i know) i need to go back.
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…How To Be A Fitness Blogger Part I: LexiconMy Profile

• rebacox says:

I have lots of excuses too sometimes… don’t worry about it just get back in the studio asap! Perhaps there is a better yoga place near you now.

5. That is quite the schedule! I have to say, you kinda motivate me. You are really a strong willed person, Reba!
    Gloria @ Simply Gloria recently posted…July 4th Sprinkle CookiesMy Profile

6. Hi Reba! I feel the same way about running, there seriously is nothing better. I haven’t been running as much as I used to, because I have this great trainer and she designs these amazing cross fit routines for myself and 2 of my friends, so we do that 3x a week. I love it because my gym is 2 blocks from my house and the whole workout takes 1 hour and is a full body one. I have to run on trails due to my knee, so if I’m going to run then I have to drive to the trails and then run them which takes about 1 hour and 1/2. I don’t always have the time to do that, especially in the summer when the kids are home. I don’t feel right abut leaving them for 2 hours. When I do run the trails I come home so happy and grounded. Running is my form of meditation and I need to try and incorporate it once a week, so I get you girl! Have fun with your training! xoxo, Jackie
    jackie @ Marin mama cooks recently posted…buffalo apple burgers with sage-jalapeño pestoMy Profile

7. Congrats on signing up for the half! Your training plan looks awesome – I’m still trying to craft what mind will be. I usually like to run no more than 4 days a week. I also feel like my legs get too tired if I run more. My half is in October, exciting!
    Sara @ Fit.Fun.Femme. recently posted…Target Practice – Marathon EditionMy Profile

8. I am totally impressed with your schedule! I think I alwyas sucks at Halfs because I never had a real plan. I just ran until I got tired and then showed up on race day. LOL!
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Work It Out: Fueling with FRSMy Profile

9. Natalie says:

Wow what a training plan, very impressive!
    Natalie recently posted…Easy Vodka Gummy BearsMy Profile

10. I don’t have ANY doubts about your half marathon! You will totally rock it!!! Go girl :) I admire your training plan!!
    xox Amy
    Amy @ swiss miss in the kitchen recently posted…5-Minutes Tomato SoupMy Profile

11. Kelsey says:

Looks like a great plan! Run AND Zumba! I also love Zumba. I’m going to try to get a Groupon for the local place. I just discovered my Roku has some cool work out stations so I’m going to practice yoga before attempting a class. Do you think yoga was hard to get into?
    Kelsey recently posted…Healthy MondayMy Profile

• rebacox says:

I found it very hard to get into yoga and I used to only do it when I was so sore I needed a break. The most important I learned was finding a good studio can do wonders for your yoga practice. Being in a friendly judge free environment made me be able to relax more and clear by mind, which is what yoga should be about. I say give it a try, and if you don’t like it try another studio or teacher until you find what works.

12. Hyedi says:

Excited to follow your training!
    Hyedi recently posted…2013 Grandma’s Marathon: spectating recapMy Profile

13. I love those running shoes, so pretty!

I’m training for my very FIRST half marathon. My training schedule is definitely longer and less complex. I’m aiming to just finish at this point! :)
    Mandy @ The Running Herbivore recently posted…My Very First “What I Ate Wednesday”My Profile

14. Pingback: Treadmill Speed Work | Not So Perfect Life