The first time I had Irish Soda Bread was two years ago. My co-worker brought in some of his wives homemade bread. It was very sweet and loaded with butter. Instead of Irish soda bread it should have been called Irish soda cake.
Was it delicious? Yes. But it was not what I imagined the bread originally tasted like. So I did my research. True Irish soda bread isn’t loaded with raisins, butter, sugar or eggs. It is nearly naturally vegan and one of the quickest and easiest breads you will ever make. Literally 10 minutes prep time and 35-45 minutes of bake time.
True Irish soda bread starts with 4 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of each baking soda and baking powder, a tablespoon or two or two of sugar, a little bit of butter cut in and two cups of buttermilk.
Vegan buttermilk, yea it exist and you don’t have to buy anything special to make it. Simply add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per cup of almond, soy or your vegan milk of choice, stir it together and let it set on the counter for about 5 minutes to turn “soured”(see below).
Sift or whisk your ingredients together before you add in your “butter”milk and mix with your hands or a spatula. I don’t believe there is a risk of over mixing but once everything comes together and there is no loose flour in your bowl place the dough on a well floured baking sheet. I chose to bake my bread in my new cast iron skillet which I am obsessed with!
With your hands gently form the bread into a flattened ball. DO NOT forget to score the top of the bread with a giant X this allows the bread to expand nice and pretty. If you don’t do it you bread will expand at all the non combined wrinkles in the dough.
Tasty, hearty, rustic looking warm bread with little to no prep time. It is definitely the easiest bread I have ever baked. I hate to say it but it is idiot proof!
Irish Soda Bread- Vegan
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups Al Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Baking Power
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups “Butter” Milk (almond milk with lemon juice rested on the counter for 5 minutes)
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 Tablespoons Vegan Butter (Room temperature)
1) Make your “butter”milk by adding 2 tablespoons to almond milk and letting it set to “spoil” on the counter.
2) Set oven to 425 degrees. Sift or whisk all dry ingredients together. With a fork and knife cut the vegan butter into the flour until the flour looks crumbly.
3) Pour the “butter”milk into the dry ingredients and mix gently to combine. I used a spatula to begin then switched to using my hands to get all the flour worked into the dough.
4) Flour the surface of your baking sheet or case iron skillet well. Place the dough onto the pan and lightly form into a flattened ball. Cut a giant X on top of the bread about 3/4th of an inch deep.
5) Bake bread at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then turn the heat down to 400 and continue baking for about 20-30 minutes more. I always use the old toothpick trick to see if my bread is done.
6) Let the bread cool on a baking rack before cutting.
The smell of fresh bread is amazing!
I know this recipe is a day late and a dollar short BUT its good. SO make it today. It is the perfect weekend morning quick bread or when you just don’t have a lot of time on your hands. I can only imagine the different variations of this bread you can make…
Tomorrow I’ll update you on my half marathon this weekend. Long story short… it was not easy and I’m paying for it today
What did you do this weekend?