Back when I lived in NYC I was near to no less than three juice stores. Anytime I started to feel that tickle in my throat or the over tired even though I did nothing feeling I hurried to get a ginger fireball aka a shot of pressed ginger with orange. Ginger fireball was my cough syrup, my Emergen-C and I really really miss it.
At home in Chicago I have juiced ginger with my blender and a nut milk bag. It is a manually intensive process and you get too little for all that effort. While tasty we all need a quicker way to get those nutrients into our body, one that requires little effort. Vola… Cure All Ginger Broth.
A little garlic for taste, a couple of lemongrass stalks for complexity and whatever random broth veggies you have on hand. (Do you end up with tons of carrots and celery taking up space in your fridge? Throw them in!)
A chop, smash, sauté and 20 min wait and you have a thick dark golden broth…
Lemongrass is super cheap so I highly recommend you buying a stalk or two. Remove the outer layers and chop off the bottom and top. If you have never cooked with lemongrass know that it is not an easy one. I could probably write a whole post about it! For the purpose of this recipe just chop and toss it in.
Cure all ginger broth.
- Fresh Ginger, about the size of your palm
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Stalks Lemongrass, outer layers removed and ends chopped off
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 4 Cups Water
- Chop the ginger into quarter inch cubes, no need to be exact.
- With the back of your knife and the palm of your hand smash the garlic and ginger.
- Heat a medium sized pot to medium high. Quickly dry sauté the the garlic and ginger until you start to smell the flavors.
- Add water and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer until golden brown, about 10 more minutes.
- Strain broth and enjoy!
When your done please make sure to enjoy it in your favorite cup. This is mine
What home remedies do you have for when you need a boost?