If you have not make any of the soups from my post a few weeks ago. Go do that now! I am a soup fiend, I think it is really what I am good at. (Not to toot my own horn). This recipe for roasted garlic cauliflower soup is amazing.
Maybe I wouldn’t suggest eating this soup right before a meeting or a date. The garlic is strong, but so creamy, complex and delicious. Roasting garlic is a bit time consuming but you can do this ahead of time and just microwave it a bit to re-soften it to squeeze it out of the paper shells. I love how cheap garlic is and how well it stores. A bonus when you are trying to not waste money on expensive quick to ruin ingredients.
Cauliflower serves as a base for the soup but it might as well potatoes because you could never tell the difference. Usually I use 6-8 cups of water but I wanted a really hearty soup that would seem like comfort food. Only using 4 cups of broth totally made the difference. The only bad part is that the soup doesn’t make as many meals. Another change I made from my usual soup routine is that I softened the onions in vegan margarine, best idea ever. Two tablespoons of butter went a long way giving the soup a rich buttery taste.
A nice addition to the soup is homemade croutons. So easy! Cut some bread ( I used quinoa multigrain from Whole Foods, Yummm), give it a few shakes of olive oil and a bit of your seasoning of choice. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees on a baking sheet for 10-12 minutes until the bread has dried out. Don’t burn the bread, check it often.
- 1 Head of Garlic
- 1 Large Head of Cauliflower loosely chopped
- 1/2 a White Onion Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Margerine
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off the top of the head of garlic. sprinkle the olive oil on top of the garlic open top garlic cloves. Loosely wrap the garlic in aluminum foil. Place the loosely wrapped garlic on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes or until garlic is soft and "mushy".
- While the garlic is cooling melt the vegan margarine in a large pot or dutch oven. Soften the onions in the margarine for about 5 minutes then mash out the roasted garlic into the pot and press into the onions. Sautee for mother 2 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and chopped cauliflower. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Until cali can be easily pierced with a fork.
- In batched puree the soup until smooth.
Did I mention my soups are awesome? If you are in the mood for a thick garlic comforting soup this is your dinner