If you take one look at my recipe page you can see that I’m soup obsessed. I eat soup all through out summer, so sue me. To me there is nothing better than a hot fresh bowl of homemade soup and a slice of bread. I love how many veggies you can cram into an unsuspecting soup (don’t believe me look at my bean and vegetable chili or my tortilla soup recipe).
Today I’m sharing with you a recipe that I thought would never happen on my mostly vegan blog. Creamy Tomato Cheddar soup. What? Oh yea its vegan, and if you have not tried my cream of tomato soup do yourself a favor and do it. It is soo good. It would make a believer out of any southern grandmother (or Paula Dean herself). I got the idea for turning the cream of tomato soup cheddarized while waiting in line to get soup a few months ago. The Hale and Hearty Tomato Cheddar soup has always been off-limits to me. 330 calories in a 12 ounce serving, loaded with fat and dairy no thank you says my stomach.
While I admit the non-vegan version of this taste like heaven the after effects are never worth the splurge. Especially when you can sub in some nutritional yeast and call it a day. Nutritional yeast is a super healthy way to get cheddar flavor in any recipe. The creamy texture in the soup comes from the cashews. Yes cashews.
- 1 28-ounce Can of Whole Pealed Tomatoes
- 1/4th Cup Nutritional Yeast Powder
- A Handful of Cashews
- 1.2 White Onion Chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 6 Cups Water
- 1 Medium Carrot
- In a large pot or Dutch oven add all the ingredients except the nutritional yeast.
- Bring the soup to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 25 minutes.
- Blend the soup and the nutritional yeast in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Sever fresh or freeze leftovers for later.