I know a recipe is a hit when my boyfriend eats all the leftovers… There are recipes I think are great and then there are boyfriend approved recipes. This is a boyfriend approved recipe.
Can you keep a secret? These mini vegetable pot pies and loaded with fresh vegetables, low in fat, good for you and OH SO TASTY! Plus, Did I tell you they also take less than 45 minutes to make?
The end product of this tasty meal is not indicative of the effort you put into it. Your hard work is done when you have chopped up the vegetables and fresh herbs. I don’t usually use fresh herbs but I think they are needed in this recipe. Instead of buying a huge bushel of sage and parsley I just bought the little dollar packets they sell in the same section. Much less leftovers and less hassle in general.
Mini Vegetable Pot Pies- Vegan
Half of a Large White Onion Chopped
2 Medium Carrots Diced
1 Cup Chopped New Potatoes
2 Stalks Celery Chopped
1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (or dry white wine)
1/4th Cup Fresh Minced Parsley
2 Tablespoon Fresh Minced Sage
2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
1.5 Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
3/4 Cup Vegetable Broth
1 Can of Reduced Fat Pillsbury crescent rolls (Seamless is ideal and yes they are vegan!)
1) Turn oven to 400 Degrees. Heat a large pot on medium/high heat, add in the olive oil until hot. Sauté the onion in the olive oil until transparent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2) Add in the rest of your vegetables and cook covered for about 8 minutes until the vegetables turn soft. Stir in the salt, apple cider vinegar, parsley and sage and cook a few more minutes.
3) Uncover your pot and sprinkle in the flour stirring to incorporate for about 2 minutes. Add in the almond milk and broth, simmer for 5 minutes then take off the heat. Set the pot aside covered.
4) Prepare 4 mini pans (about 4 by 2 inches) by coating them with a good spray of Pam. Spoon the pot pie filling evenly into the four dishes.
3) Cook the mini pans in the oven for 15 minutes, the filling will be boiling. I placed the mini pots onto a baking tray that way I could easily get them in and out of the oven.
4) While the pot pies are cooking roll out your dough and try to pull the triangles of the crescent rolls into small rectangles. After 15 minutes pull the mini pot pies out of the oven and place the crescent dough on top of the pans stretching to the edges. Cut a small slit on top of each pies. Place the mini pies back into the oven for 10 minutes or until the crescent rolls are golden brown.
Let the mini pies cool and enjoy! You can re-heat leftovers another day.
This is comfort food without the guilt at its finest.
I went ahead and made extra crescent rolls with the leftover dough. I also made one extra-large mini pot pie for my boyfriend. Please forgive my very ugly and stained pans.
What is your favorite comfort dish? Have you ever thought you could actually make it healthy, or tried and failed?