FAQ’s of Juicing

I have been getting a lot of questions lately from friends and fellow bloggers about juicing. I’m definitely no expert but I’ve done my fair share of juicing so here are my thoughts!

FAQ’s of Juicing

How do you go a day or two or three without eating solid foods?

I would only suggest doing juice cleanses that provide at least 1,200 calories for your diet. At no point during a cleanse have I ever felt faint or so weak and I thought I needed to sit down and neither should you. The 1,200 calories are dense with nutrients and they definitely keep you going. Juicing is much more about mindset than anything. Go into a cleanse with a positive mindset and you will do great.

How do I get started?

Start by testing some juices to see what you like. For example I really don’t like carrot or cucumber juices. But I found that I LOVE kale and spinach. To my surprise even though I’m not a fan of beets, beet juice is pretty tasty. It’s all about trial and error. Grab a juice or two for dinner to test them out. This way you can pick a cleanse with juices you will enjoy and not have to hold your nose to drink them!

Is it good for you?

I have no formal training in any medical field so I’m not authorized to answer that question. Feel free to chat with your doctor if you have concerns. I know that I always feel fresher and better after a cleanse. When I was still struggling with blood sugar issues in February the last two days of the cleanse were the best I had felt in a long time.

Do you lose weight?

Yes you will lose a couple of pounds, but most of it is water weight. I lost 5.5 pounds the first time I did a cleanse simply because I had more excess weight to lose. The second time I lost 2.5 pounds but I was lighter to begin with. Do not expect to keep all of the weight off and be realistic with your results.

Can I workout while juicing?

Most juice cleanses suggest you do light yoga or spend some time in the sauna. I have done some easy weight lifting workouts while cleansing and some light cardio with great results. The fast of the matter is you want to get a bit of sweat going at some point but don’t over do it.

What do I do after I cleanse?

Be careful what you eat in the days after your cleanse. If you head right back into beer and carbs not only will your stomach hate you, you are just asking your body to store all that crap.

Do you enjoy cleansing/ Is it worth it?

I absolutely believe juicing is worth it. The first day is always the hardest because your body is still processing the idea that you will not be eating solid foods. Once you get past that you really start to understand the whole “food as fuel thing”. I think that it is worth while to experience that feeling so you can properly address your fueling needs!

Here are some brands I recommend:

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Download PDF

About rebacox

Pseudo athlete and vegan, learning to love all the imperfections in life. Follow me in my journey, training for races (a half marathon in all 50 states to be exact) and my adventures in the kitchen!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to FAQ’s of Juicing

1. I’m so happy to read this post! Thanks for answering a bunch of my questions. I definitely want to juice this summer! :)
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…My Five Favorite BreakfastsMy Profile

• rebacox says:

Have local juice shops started popping up in your area yet? If not you can always have the juices FedEX’d although it will cost you.

2. Katie says:

This fall BluePrint had a sale so I bought 1 days worth of their level 1 cleanse to try it. I was impressed, although it would be super expensive to do a 3 day cleanse with them. Why didn’t you recommend them, or why did you recommend the 2 that you did?
    Katie recently posted…Fitting in Fitango!My Profile

• rebacox says:

I am actually not a huge fan of the blue print juices. Way to much cucumber for my liking! To each his own on juicing, that’s why I recommend trial and error. Juicing is expensive, but then again so are organic vegetables and fruits.

3. Hyedi says:

Great post! I’ve done a juice cleanse before, but still found this very helpful :)
    Hyedi recently posted…Weekly Wednesday Ragnar post: Meet Mandy!My Profile

4. I’ve a lot of questions and worries about juice fasts, so this post was great and answered a lot of them! While I won’t be doing a juice fast anytime soon (it’s just very bad for me mentally), I’m definitely not as adverse as I was before!
    Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen recently posted…Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate FrostingMy Profile

5. Hi Reba! Great Q&A on juicing. I do have one more question though, did you eat differently before the cleanse? I hear that you’re supposed to eat a vegeterian diet for a day or two before the cleanse. BTW, a juice bar just opened up like 2 minutes from my house that specializes in cleanses. I think that’s a welcome sign, wouldn’t you agree?
    xoxo, Jackie
    jackie @ Marin mama cooks recently posted…sweet potato and chipotle soupMy Profile

• rebacox says:

First of all I see you posted the sweet potato and chipotle soup, can’t wait to check it out! Second of all before the cleanse I always try to eat a bit lighter and definitely lay off the alcohol. What you need to do is break the cycle of a food craving such as chocolate or that afternoon pretzel snack before you do a cleanse and your life will be much easier :)

6. I love the last point you make! I always think about doing a cleanse, but ultimately don’t because they’re expensive. But it’d be such a nice way to reset myself and remind my mind and my tastebuds that food is fuel and I don’t need to eat everything just because I can see it 😉
    Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies recently posted…Super Soft Banana Bread Cookies (Vegan, GF)My Profile

• rebacox says:

Juicing cleanses are very expensive BUT if you add up the cost of the massive amount of organic fruits and vegetables its not that high.

7. I just started juicing last month. I agree with you when you said you don’t feel weak even if you don’t eat solids. I love how I feel ever since I started juicing! :)
    Ja @Ja on the RUN recently posted…Yo-Gas! :)My Profile

8. I’ve never done a juice cleanse… not sure if I ever will, but nonetheless thanks for this Q&A – I liked reading it, so informative!
    Emma @ Culturecopia recently posted…Off to see the Queen, goodbye!My Profile

• rebacox says:

Thanks. I don’t think its right for everyone. When I feel that I’ve been eating crap I feel like it re-sets my mindset and helps me get back on track.

9. I have thought about juicing for a while but was afraid I’d be starving and miserable the whole time. I think I’ll try it! Thanks for the brand recommendations :)
    Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes recently posted…A Giant CupcakeMy Profile

10. i have never done any of these juices but its always interesting for me to read about it :) although I tried doing only fruits and vegetable diet once and it kind of failed
    dixya| Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…My Frinspiration : Horchata & Peanut Butter Avocado CookiesMy Profile

• rebacox says:

A good juice cleanse will include a nut milk to provide you with a good amount of fats and protein. Perhaps that’s why your fruit and vegetable diet failed?

11. Stella says:

Great FAQ’s!
    My best friend lost a lot of weight eating subway + drinking juice + walking every day. That was when I started getting into juicing too and I haven’t looked back. :)
    I drink a shot of wheatgrass juice every other day too and it feels great.
    Stella recently posted…Best JuicerMy Profile