This week I’m giving you guys the low down on my Superbowl party menu. Earlier I shared with you my Mom’s Vegan Soft Pretzels. Todays recipe was inspired by one of my favorite food bloggers, Sally over at Sallys Baking Addiction. In my humble opinion she has the BEST dessert recipes and best pictures, I drool every time I check out her blog!
A month ago Sally posted a recipe for Cupcake Puppy Chow. My first thought was OMG OMG OMG! My second thought was that there was no way I was going to ever trust myself with a batch of this at home alone… enter the Superbowl party. Since there was going to be plenty of adult supervision it was the perfect time to whip up a veganised version of this Cupcake Puppy Chow which I call Sprinkle Loaded White Chocolate Puppy Chow.
The prettiest dirty bowl ever!
Sally’s original recipe calls for butter emulsion. I thought there was no way this would be vegan. Turns out it is vegan (enter many day dreams about using this in quick breads)! Once I got past that hurdle I had to figure out what to do about the white chocolate which usually isn’t vegan. You can make homemade vegan white chocolate (some day I’ll try to) but this time I wanted a quick fix. Thankfully there is kosher vegan white chocolate. I purchased mine on Amazon here.
The vegan white chocolate taste a little waxish on its own but melted it taste creamy and thick! So many more recipe to come with this.
Now that we are past all the hard parts. Lets talk about sprinkle loaded white chocolate puppy chow and how it taste… sweet creamy crunchy heaven. That is, if you like sweet white chocolate treats! Plus there are sprinkles, plenty of sprinkles. Not only a treat for the eye but also the taste buds.
Why do sprinkles taste so good ?!?!
Ok let’s get down to business!
Sprinkle Loaded White Chocolate Puppy Chow- Vegan Inspired By Sally’s Baking Addiction’s Cupcake Puppy Chow
4.5 Cups Rice Chex
1/4 Cup Vegan Shortening (I used Earth Balance Natural Shortening)
10 Ounces Vegan White Chocolate Chips
2 Teaspoons Almond Emulsion*
1 Teaspoon Butter Emulsion*
2/3 Cup Sprinkles (Some sprinkles contain beeswax)
1 1/2 Cups Powered Sugar
*If you do not have/ can not find these emulsion flavorings you make this without it. I made one test batch without them and it tasted great just more like plain white chocolate.
1) Measure out your chex mix in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2) In a small sauce pan melt the white chocolate and shortening on medium heat until smooth. Remember to stir constantly!
3) Take the white chocolate sauce off the heat and allow to cool slightly for a few minutes. Stir in both emulsions.
4) Pour the white chocolate sauce on top of your dry chex mix. Stir until you get an even coating on the chex. Let it cool for a bit before adding sprinkles or they will melt.
5) Pour in sprinkles and gently stir to evenly distribute.
6) In a large plastic bag add your powdered sugar then pour in the coated chex and shake the bag well to coat all of the wet chex with the powered sugar. Make sure to close the bag tight before you shake it!
Store in an airtight container.
And the final product, this stuff is addicting!
On a personal note, last night I ran up the Empire State Building! I didn’t make either of my goal times. BUT I had a good time and I learned what it feels like to be out of breath for 20 plus minutes! I’ll review this race in a day or two.