All that juicing made me hungry for something to chew on… This week I’ll be sharing a couple of my Superbowl party recipes!
Every New Years Eve my mom would make homemade soft pretzels (and we would sit at home watching The Cutting Edge but that’s another story). The homemade soft pretzels were the best; soft, salty and fresh. Sometime in the last two and a half years I made these for Peter and they quickly became a favorite of his too. So whipping up a batch of these guys for our Superbowl party was a no brainer.
Little did mom know, the pretzel bread she made for us every year was naturally vegan! There is no tweaking this classic soft pretzel recipe, its perfect just the way mom made it.
Although the rise time takes awhile the hands on prep time is much more limited than you think. Only 5 minutes to stir the ingredients together and about 10 minutes to roll out the dough into pretzel shapes. In an hour and a half you can have warm, soft, chewy and salty soft pretzel bread!
Vegan Soft Pretzel Bread:
3 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons Honey (or Agave)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Package Dry Active Yeast
1 and 1/3rd Cups Warm Water
“Egg Wash” 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda with 3 Tablespoons of Water
1) Mix the warm water and dry active yeast together and let sit for about a minute.
2) Beat together the rest of the ingredients with the exception of 2 cups of flour. Once the mixture is throughly combined add in the rest of the flour and mix well. At this point I use my hands and knead the dough until everything until everything comes together in dough form.
3) Cover your mixing bowl and let it rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until it just about doubles in size.
4) Turn oven to 400 degrees. Divide dough into 12 equal parts, they will be about palm sized. With well floured hands roll each palm sized piece into a long thin strip and shape in pretzel form. Here is a really good video on the matter.
5) Place the pretzels two inches apart on a lined baking sheet. With your hands gently brush the baking soda water mixture over the pretzels. Then generously sprinkle on the salt!
6) Cook for 7-8 minutes watching them closely! There is only a minute between perfect and burned bottoms!
6) Let them cool a bit then serve!
I love soft pretzels! Thank you Mom!