Another great entrée option coming at you today. What you will love about todays recipe for chickpea “meatballs” is that they are easy to make and very versatile. A quick pan fry on these babies makes them crispy on the outside and warm and chewy on the inside. I am always trying to come up with soy free ways to add protein packed punches to my diet and chickpeas are a great source.
You can add these “meatballs” to soup (perfect for adding to my “cream” of tomato soup!), on top of a salad or pasta, in a sandwich or as an appetizer all by themselves. The possibilities are endless.
I flavored my “meatballs” with cumin, curry and green onions followed by a toss in sesame seeds. You can easily switch out flavors to mix up the taste.
As with most of my recipes you can freeze extra “meatballs” for use later. I love that part! Its like 2, 3 or 4 meals in one recipe.
Chickpea “Meatballs”: Vegan
1 Can of Chickpeas (15 Ounces)
1/3 Cup Chopped Green Onions
1/3 Cup Bread Crumbs
2/3 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
2 Tablespoons Cumin
1 Tablespoon Curry
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Sesame Seeds for rolling
Olive Oil for Pan Frying
1) In a food processor combine rinsed and drained chickpeas with chopped green onions. Dont over process, the texture should look crumbly.
2) In a bowl mix together spices, salt and bread crumbs with the combined chickpeas and green onions.
3) Add in the brown rice and mix well until fully incorporated.
4) Roll about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into meatball shapes and sit aside. At this point place extra meatball your do not plan on cooking immediately in the freezer in heavy duty ziplock bags.
5) Heat about a tablespoon and a half of olive oil in a pan. Add “meatballs” to the skillet and cook until brown on all sides. This should take about 8 minutes and it should smell amazing!
I ate mine on a fresh bead of greens with a vinaigrette dressing. So warm and tasty. I can wait to try them on top of some pasta!
Today is New Years Eve… I can’t believe 2012 is over. It was a very fast year! I wish you all a very happy and safe New Year! Until tomorrow!