In light of yesterdays’ bread baking post you might thank I’ve gone carb crazy with todays recipe. Fortunately for my skinny jeans, I have not. With all this cold weather and holiday cheer around it makes me think of hot chocolate. There are only so many frothy hot chocolate drinks you can down in one day and it’s really hard to justify them for breakfast. So to get my coco fix I thought what better way than hot coco quick bread.
Quick bread is one of my favorite things. You can mix it quick, pop it in the oven and walk away for almost an hour. Their recipes are almost always versatile and you can also use a variety of sweeteners to enhance the breads flavor. With todays bread I stuck with regular old sugar because I wanted it a bit fluffier but I’d imagine a little sweet yogurt or molasses would be right tasty in this recipe too.
A quick note about baking vegan- My go to substitute for eggs in baking is 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. I have yet to try out egg replacer because the ingredients just don’t seem very natural. You can also add almond or soy yogurt to add a bit of moisture.
Sorry my pictures aren’t that great. It was pretty late when this came out of the oven and my eyes must have been tried!
2 Cups flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Sugar
3 1/2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Coco Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1.2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
2 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Cornstarch Egg
1 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1) Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 4 by 8 baking pan.
2) Mix all your dry ingredients together except the sugar and set aside.
3) Melt your butter in a small microwaveable glass and stir in sugar. In a separate glass stir together cornstarch egg.
4) With a whisk add in your wet ingredients one at a time. Make sure to combine everything but without over mixing.
5) Pour the batter into your greased baking pan and smooth out the top.
6) Bake on the middle rack for 50-65 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
So good with some breakfast tea and yogurt. I love holiday baking! Enjoy!