Tonight I’m headed to London for a week. I’ll be there working until Friday then Peter is coming over for a nice weekend getaway until Monday. I have spent a significant amount of time in London and usually I look forward to the trip. Since I haven’t been feeling good lately I’m not a jazzed to be headed there on a red-eye tonight. I’m sure once I’m all packed I”ll be feeling a little better about it.
What I’m really looking forward to in London is celebrating 2 years together with Peter. Time really flies when you’re in love <3 Peter has planned a nice dinner out for us Saturday night, the location is a surprise and I can’t wait to find out where! I’m also excited to show him the city and get away from everything in New York. Two years and were still happy campers!
Before I left today I wanted to be sure to pass along a new vegan soup recipe I created. With all this marathon training I hate to admit that I’ve been doing a fair amount of “re-fueling” at bars watching football. Peter has a weakness for buffalo wings so I’ve been seeing them a lot of them lately. Admittedly I wish I could sit down and eat a couple with him, but I usually grab just one of these grease bombs. I love spicy food and I LOVE buffalo sauce, so why not make a healthy soup out of it? If you want to add meat to this recipe just add some shredded chicken but honestly I don’t think it needs it. The toasted garbanzo beans add a nice meaty texture to the soup and the Franks Buffalo sauce gives the soup a real wing flavor. If you have 45 spare minutes make this recipe!
Vegan Buffalo Wing Soup
- 3/4 Cup Uncooked Whole Wheat Orzo Pasta
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil plus 1 Teaspoon
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/3 Cup Chopped White Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic Chopped
- 2 Carrots Diced
- 2 Teaspoons Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix
- 3 Tablespoons cilantro Chopped
- 5 Cups Vegetable Stock (preferably chicken flavored)
- 2/3 cup Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 Cup Rice Cheddar Cheese Shred
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions chopped
- 1 Can Oven Roasted Garbanzo Beans (or chickpeas)
- Turn oven to 375 degrees. Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans and lay flat on a cooking sheet. Lightly coat the beans with 1 teaspoon olive oil and cumin. Make sure to give the beans a good toss so that they are all coated. Roast in oven for 30 minutes, give a good shake to the pan halfway through.
- While beans are roasting cook the orzo halfway through according to package instructions. Drain and set aside to be added later.
- In a large pot heat 2 teaspoons olive oil and sauté the white onion, garlic and green onions until the onions become fragrant.
- Add carrots, ranch mix and cilantro. Saute the carrots until they start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, buffalo sauce, rice cheddar shreads and bring to a simmer. Cook until carrots are tender.
- Bring the soup to a boil, add the half-cooked orzo and roasted garbanzo beans.
If you find the soup has boiled down too much and is too thick add some water. I really hope you enjoy this as much as I do!!! Who says you need fried chicken to get the same buffalo spice comfort tasting food!